Our bodies, independent of age or physical ability, are made to move. You get positive health effects and feelings by increased activity, not by sitting still. Massage increases circulation and reduces stress and pain. But by also being more physical active yourself, you get even greater health benefits.
Physical activity is a good investment for your health since there are clear connections between physical activity/training and your health. The benefits of exercise extend far beyond weight issues. Research shows that regular physical activity can help reduce your risk for several diseases and health conditions and improve your overall quality of life.
The first steps towards a more physical active life would be to avoid sitting still and increasing your daily activities.
It is important that you enjoy your physical activity. Maybe it feels hard to get started to exercise - but after some time you will notice that you actually feel better. Your exercise options are numerous, including walking, dancing, jogging, gardening, hiking or biking. The important thing is to choose activities you enjoy. That will increase your chances of making it a habit. Before beginning any fitness routine, do not forget to warm up followed by light stretching.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), we should perform a minimum of 150 minutes of reasonable physical activity weekly. For example, five quick walks of 30 minutes, or at least 75 minutes of heavy/sweaty physical activity, such as jogging, or cardiovascular training. Furthermore, you should also train your muscles at least twice a week. People over 65 years, also benefit from balance-training.
Physical activity > Positive health effects
* Increases your physical fitness
* Could prevent stress symptoms
* Decreases the risk for depression
* Prevents cardio vascular diseases
* Decreases the risk for diabetes 2
* Increases your muscle strength
* Strengthen your skeleton
* Increases your confidence
* Increases your wellbeing
* Could increase concentration and the ability to learn
* Increase your sleep-quality
* Could decrease joint pain by arthritis
* Increases balance and coordination
Small steps to get started:
- Avoid sitting still
- Work in your garden
- Play with kids
- Stand up while working at an office desk
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Get off the bus one stop earlier
- Take the bike instead of the car